Happy Day! I already lost track of how many days I’ve spent inside my home, but I have tried to keep my sanity during the quarantine and part of this process is staying active. If you don’t know where to begin with your #athomeworkouts , here are seven sweet suggestions to get started:
1. Get up an hour early. The best time to workout is early in the morning because not only does it give you more energy, but it speeds up your metabolism—and God knows we need this right now with all the extra snacks we’ve been eating during this lockdown (are you eating right now or did you just eat?, see what I mean!).
2. If you’re not a morning person take advantage of some of the extra time you’re spending at home and give yourself some ‘me-time’; an hour or two before dinner. This will help declutter your mind and put you on a much better mood, because let’s face it, there is no better feeling than that of saying “I did it! I’ve completed a workout!”.
3. Clear some space, get rid of the clutter so you won’t bump or trip on anything and open a window or use your balcony or front porch, and if you’re lucky to have a backyard, that is golden, USE IT! This is the perfect opportunity to breath some fresh air, get your blood flowing and sweat it out!
4. USE SHOES! Unless you’re doing yoga, it’s not safe for you to do certain exercises without a good pair of sneakers because you can hurt your toes, or slip and the last thing you want right now is to end up at the urgent care with this virus floating around.
5. You got kids? That’s wonderful; I’m sure they have more energy than you can handle. Incorporate them into your workouts. Turn it into a follow the leader game or use them as body weights. Checkout these exercises I did with my toddler and try them. They’ll laugh and have fun, and you get to burn some calories.
6. There is no need to workout for an hour to get results. Try mini-workouts like a set of 10 squats, lunges, burpees or mountain climbers. Start with a few throughout the day and while you’re doing the dishes or cooking squeeze your booty then release; it may seem insignificant but as you continue to do it, the muscle starts building and you’ll be working towards that JLo peach we all want.
7. Warm up, stretch and DON'T kill yourself in one workout because then you’ll be too sore to do it again the next day (and I speak from experience). Build up to it and eventually it will become a habit.
And here are some of the workouts you can start doing right now